Rental Resources

Need our help?

Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you to manage your tenancy.

Contact Accommodation Services for general rental information. If you need help with tenancy issues, free legal advice, advocacy support and/ budgeting for the cost of living contact the La Trobe Student Union or Bendigo Student Association (Bendigo students).

Exernal Assistance

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is the governing body responsible for the Residential Tenancies Act (1997). CAV can help you with rental information and advice. CAV also offer a conciliation service.

Download the Consumer Affairs Victoria Rentright App for important information and tools to help you manage your tenancy.

Tenants Union of Victoria was established to protect tenants’ rights, they can assist with free and confidential advice if you have a tenancy issue. The Tenants Union of Victoria produces publications in multiple languages.

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) offers a free mediation service to help resolve disputes. Phone DSCV: +61 3 9603 8310

Study Melbourne Student Centre which was set up by the State Government of Victoria provides information, support and advice for international students about living in Melbourne.

Rental Publications

Government Support

Rent Assistance provides financial help if you are paying rent and receiving a Centrelink payment. Eligibility criteria apply.

Utility Relief Scheme offers support if due to temporary financial crisis you are unable to pay your utility bills. Open to Australian Residents, eligibility criteria apply.

No interest loans scheme provides loans without fees or interest to low income earners. Loans can generally be used to buy essential household items.

You may be able to borrow money through a Bond Loan Scheme if you are on a low income and can't afford to pay the bond for a rental property. Eligibility criteria apply.

The Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) may be able to help with financial support if you are homeless or in a housing crisis. Eligibility criteria apply. For advice on HEF call 1800 825 955.

MoneyHelp is supported by the Victoria and Australian Governments and offers help if you are struggling with bills, debt and ongoing expenses.

Save Money

Environment Victoria has tips on how to reduce your environmental impact and save money when renting.

Your Choice is a Victorian Government initiative set up to help you find the most affordable energy provider.

Moneysmart can provide you with a useful budget planner and a track my spend app to help with managing living costs.