Frequently asked questions


What type of accommodation am I offering?

Rooming House

A building where one or more rooms are available for rent, each tenant pays rent and four or more people may occupy those rooms. In most rooming houses, residents share communal facilities such as bathrooms and kitchens. Rooming house accommodation is covered by the Residential Tenancies Act (1997). Rooming Houses must be registered with the local government authority and must comply with the minimum standards set in the Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012. For more information in relation to registering a rooming house contact your local council or Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Under Lease Agreement

A tenancy agreement, or lease is where a landlord/provider lets their premises out for residential purposes to a tenant. Tenancies are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act (1997).

Owner Occupied/Boarding

In a boarding arrangement, a person rents a room and the owner lives in the property. The boarder and owner have a private agreement, boarding situations do not fall under the Residential Tenancies Act (1997), although may be covered under certain provisions of Australian Consumer Law.

How can I make my listing appealing to students?

To help make your listing appealing provide detailed information about the property. Keep your points concise and simple, dot points to describe the property can be helpful.

Preparing your listing -

  • Include photos. Our database has a minimum requirement of one photo for each listing, but you can include more photos. Photos will give students a visual preview which can help to promote particular features.
  • Provide the option of furnishings. Generally, students prefer a furnished room.
  • Use your preferred and most available contact details. E.g. phone and/ email.

What to include under details -

  • Description of others that live at the residence (e.g. would be sharing with student, family, couple etc.).
  • Details about the culture. E.g.Whether it is a quiet or noisy house.
  • Description about whether pets are allowed and if there any pets currently living at the property.
  • Special features (such as large backyard, own bathroom, wi-fi, large bedroom, undercover parking etc)
  • Arrangement for expenses (e.g cost of electricity, gas and water included in rent)
  • The location in relation to public transport and the campus.

For larger commercial providers (more than 10 rooms) you also have the opportunity to complete a 'Special Features Checklist' to highlight particular aspects of your listing. More details are available when you register as a provider.

How much should I charge for rent?

Accommodation Services is unable to provide advice on the pricing of individual listings. We do recommend that you have a look at similar listings on the off-campus accommodation database and external rental websites. This will help you to assess the features in your accommodation against other comparable properties.

If you find you are receiving a low number of enquiries you may like to reassess your rental price.

What is the approval process for listing on the database?

All advertisements are reviewed by Accommodation Services prior to being approved for the database. We aim to check and approve listings within 72 hours of the accommodation being offered. 

How long will my listing remain live on the website?

Each listing will be live on the off-campus accommodation database for 60 days. You will receive an email prior to the listings expiry date, at which stage you will have the option to renew the offer of accommodation.

If you lease the room or property prior to the expiry of advertisement please ensure to log back into the service to remove the listing. Updating listings helps to ensure the database retains only current listings.

Where can I get a copy of tenancy forms and publications?

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is responsible for administering the Residential Tenancies Act (1997).

CAV has rental information and copies of relevant forms such as the residential tenancy agreement and the condition report.

Visit Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) online, phone 1300 558181 or visit CAV at 113 Exhibition Street, Melbourne.

CAV publications are available in many languages.